Ensuring your car’s transmission repair is carried out before heading out lessens the chances of you being a fatal statistic on road accidents. Take extra care when driving this Halloween to avoid becoming a ghost yourself or someone else.
Truth be told, research showed that Halloween is one of the deadliest days of the year for pedestrians, particularly children. Pedestrian deaths reached 5,977 in 2017, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). This means an average of 88 pedestrians per minute figure in traffic crashes.
Kids wearing masks and costumes as well as poor visibility while doing trick or treat starting dusk contribute to pedestrian accidents during Halloween. Street crossing may even be compromised in a child’s excitement to get candies. A driver whose vehicle is not responsive to sudden pedestrian crossing may get involved in traffic accident. So for Halloween, it is quite necessary to have a reliable auto repair shop check the car and carry out transmission repair if necessary.
Both adults and children need to bear in mind utmost safety when doing trick or treat.
For Trick or Treating children:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the U.S. Department of Transportation have a few important reminders for those celebrating Halloween:
- Parents or guardians should be with children younger than 12 years old
- Children should be encourage to walk and not run from house to house
- Children should always stay on sidewalks and not walk between cars or on lawns, if possible
- Parents should always remind children to be mindful or cars when crossing driveways
- Pedestrians should always be aware of oncoming vehicle – stop, look, and listen, before crossing as motorists may not be aware of them
- Do trick-or-treat before it gets really dark
- Consider wearing light colored costumes so that motorists easily spot children when they cross the street. It is also advisable to put something reflective to both front and back of the costumes to alert motorists
- Avoid costumes with masks, if possible, so that the child’s vision is not compromised
- Give children a flashlight or glow sticks to walk with in the dark so that drivers can easily see them
Tips for Drivers
Halloween can also be difficult for drivers who sometimes get surprised by crossing children rushing from one house to another. The NHTSA and the U.S. Department of Transportation offer a few helpful tips on driving safely during Halloween.
- Drivers need to remember that Halloween is potentially dangerous
- Always drive slowly around neighborhoods and on residential streets. Observe speed limits all the time
- Never drink and drive.
- Beware of children who may suddenly dart out into the street. Always yield to pedestrians even if you’re in a hurry. Remember too that if you see one child, more of them are likely to cross
- Buckle up children safely in your car all the times. Put them in child safety seat if necessary or put on a seat belt
- Pull over only at safe locations to let children exit away from traffic. Turn on your hazard lights to alert other drivers that you made a stop
- Try as much as possible to park where you do not have to reverse. If accompanied, have someone guide your reverse driving to ensure no child is behind your vehicle
- Don’t text or call while driving. Don’t give in to the temptation of looking over your mobile phone to check on your social media – this can wait until you’re not driving. If you need to respond or check text messages or pick up a call, stop safely and turn on hazard lights
By being alert and mindful of safety practices this Halloween, you can make sure of a fun holiday for all. Always remember to do a general check on your vehicle before driving away to ensure your safety as well as your passengers.
Should you need transmission repair or other auto works in Mission Viejo, go to a trusted one – Angel’s Transmission and Auto Repair. The auto technicians are certified and have up-to-date information on transmission repair to ensure your vehicle is well taken cared of. Angel’s Transmission and Auto Repair Shop will provide you honest answers to your automotive repair questions and quality repairs from experienced auto technicians. Schedule a service by calling (949) 587-9060.
Angel’s Transmission & Auto Repair in Mission Viejo is a full service shop. Our auto technicians are highly-trained, experienced and certified in all types of automatic, manual and 4WD transmission repairs.